Thursday, April 24, 2008

Fishing..

Well.. Most of you guys know what’s fishing already.

My favourite Quote:

Fishing: -
"The best feeling is when the fish is nibbling till you see the rod curves but not while waiting for it to nibble"

I’ve asked a friend to join me fishing one day and he described, “fishing is like watching the grass grow.”

Well conventional fishing may be.. where by you hook your worm on the hook and go to your favourite spot under a nice big shaded tree and cast out to the water and wait.. if the waiting game tends to be longer than usual.. you sleep..

Fishing its not about that.. It actually trains up your patience.. and nowadays anglers does not do what the conventional method. There are a few way to catch your fish.. if so happen the fish happened to be infront of your bait then your lucky.. what if the fish is not around your bait.. you don’t get any fish..

So the method we used nowadays its called casting.. where you can cast live bait, dead bait or even fake fish (lures). Its very simple method if you use live bait.. all you need to do is just cast out to a remarkable distance and slowly reeling in your line.
Let me draw you a simple illustration..

Pic A. conventional method of fishing vs casting Pic B

Pic A shows when you cast and wait.. you’ll have to wait until the fish actually swims around the area to get attracted to your bait.

Pic B shows that when you cast and retrieve you actually cover more areas and you will have a better chances of getting a hook up.


*this is just a simple illustration on how it works. If the method does not work, It could be cause the fishing pressure is too high are not maybe much fishes at the place you’re fishing or there is no fish at all(this is when i'm talking in the wild). I’ve used this method in pay ponds and it works very well.

For casting a lure.. it’s the same method of fishing with live bait just that you’ll have to present your lure in a way that it looks attractive to the fish to whack your lure. Fish in general look for bait fish that are injured cause it’s easier to hunt them rather than swimming around the pond chasing a baitfish.

Attached here is the fishes that I’ve caught using the casting method instead of the conventional method.


2.8 kg Golden Snapper

White snapper ranging from 1 kg - 1.6 kg and a 3kg senangin taiwan

Barramundi 1.7 kg, Mangrove Jack 1.6kg and Senangin Taiwan 4.3kg

Sorry no pics of the action and the bait setup and stuff.. cause i was fishing and my hands weren't very clean to get my hands to my cameraphone. Will try to take the next time i go fishing..

Okie the report for the last pic where i caught my biggest senangin ever recorded by me.. This happen somewhere last month when i was having my holidays and i decided to go to Sealion Pond 1 to fish.. Equiped with my Ryobi Excia loaded with 20lbs braided line and a 6 feet Lemax black panther rod.. Maruto size 14 suicide hooks.. (i'll explain what do you mean by that later)

After arriving there.. checked in and used prawns that we bought at a nearby stall before checking in cost RM0.70 per prawn.. if you buy at the stall at the entrance of the pond will cost you Rm 1 per prawn..

Started casting and there's this malay chap who got an immediate strike after casting his bait.. immediately i lend him a helping hand after he finished fighting the fish and controlled it beautifully into the landing net.

He landed a senangin taiwan and it weight approximately 4kg.. Then back to my rod.. i felt a hard "thug" at the end of my line.. waited for about 10 seconds and reel in my line slowly.. no response.. but i discovered that the fish whacked the prawn head.. so my prawn now is very much dead, i just cast at the place where the malay chap landed his fish.. immediately after my bait touch the water, not even 15 seconds.. my line went out fast and i realised that a fish took my bait.. i gave it a hard strike and my reel went screaming and i registed a "fish on" the fight was hard as i haven't been fishing for a very long time.. It pulled my line non stop and there were stilts in the middle of the pond.. all i can see is that my line is heading towards it.. the next thing you know.. the worst fear among all anglers.. the fish got stuck to the stilt.. I was like "AIYO" .. "WHY LA" .. then there is another malay chap adviced me to just hold the rod and keep it steady and he said eventually the fish will give up one. So i gave it a try and i see my line head out in the open where there is nothing for the fish to take cover now. .i start pumping my rod and reel in my line and after about 5 minutes.. i landed this huge fish..the pulling power is still fresh in my memory.. what a nice fish.. i removed the hook and took out the fish clip and put the fish into the water to let it remain fresh before i check out.

After another 10 minutes i register another hook up.. this time its a mangrove jack and the fight wasn't long about 3 minutes.. and the fish is landed.. then the 3rd fish landed 5 minutes after that..i was thinking.. if this goes on like this.. i will have overflowing of stock for several months.. but too bad.. it didn't came to reality.. all in all thats it for the 1st hour of fishing.. and the balance 2 hours.. i was just renting the chair there to warm my ass.. no more bites registered.. but its ok.. Thank God for it and it gave me a wide smile on my way checking out of the pond..

I still remember the words on the people i passed by "Wah.. look at that boy with that fish" "Wah.. besornya" hehehe.. in my heart. Its all grace..

Thats the report i have for this time..

Next post.. maybe i'll post my fish rigs.. hooks and fishing stuff.. till then.. hope you enjoyed reading it.

5 comments:

-karen- said...

fishing's one of the things i plan on trying. sometime between now and the day i die lar. hahaha, don't know when.

Icecube aka Simon said...

well its not as bad as it seems.. maybe one day you could follow me for some cheap thrill

IA3D Studio© said...

haha.. Karen go fishing??!!

Sure boh!!

Karen , are u SURE????? ;)

vivien yap said...

never understood fishing, i like eating sashimi, seafood

Icecube aka Simon said...

well you guys can join me fishing if you want.. its interesting.. seriously.. ask Jensen.. he caught his 1st fish with lines and hook.. the most basic fishing of all.. hahaha..

Well.. Vivien.. nothing taste better than fresh fish caught by yourself.. heheh