Wednesday, January 7, 2009

GPS - Global Positioning System



I'd just like to enquire on how effective can a GPS be. I have friends who's using Garmin GPS and some using other brand GPS but then one thing for sure... They got lost, i can't believe it that even with GPS they got lost.


Its like this I've tested one of the GPS before, just turn on the GPS, wait for satellite to align with your GPS and select your destination then it will show you all the possibilities to get to that place.

One thing for sure, they will utilize the major roads and will not show you any short cuts unless you skipped the major road and it will source out for another alternative route for you.

But there is a loophole here, yes it does show you the alternative route, and guess what.. it goes against the traffic cause its a 1 way street or a no entry sign. So how effective can a GPS be?


I know that if you're not familiar with the area or trying to look for the place a GPS will be in good hands at that time. So you've gotta like actually update it constantly to get it right.
Well one thing good about GPS is they're equipped with some extra info like ETA and speed that you're travelling and i find it interesting.
ETA - estimated Time arrival
Speed - Speed that you're travelling
Talking about GPS, my phone is actually a GPS hotline for people to call when they're lost and when they're not familiar with the roads that they are travelling. I've even had ex-colleagues that called me and ask.


Ex-colleague "hey do you know shah alam well"


Me " i said, i know the general places in shah alam. why?


Ex-colleague " oh good then do you know how to get to Seksyen 25/5"


Me " i was like WTF... I'm no GPS man but if you were to ask for landmark i can show you but not to your exact location..


That was the last time i heard from him. I did get some calls from him previously asking on how to go places but that was before the SHAH ALAM incident.


The best thing is, my number does not limit me to roads only.


One of my friend even called me and ask me


"eh.. i'm in one utama now.... how to get to Sony Centre ah?"


I'm like.... go here turn left and go straight in the new wing bla bla bla.. and she manage to find it..


Being shocked myself.. now whenever my phone buzz and i see the persons name.. I'll answer


"GPS hotline.. how may i help you"


Its funny thinking back about it..



1 comment:

Eman said...

Yea the other day eunice was wondering how to get to Pavilion. I couldn't help mentioning your name to her. ;P